- Los Blancos showing more dynamism in attack
- Perez – Real Madrid will not play in the U.S
- Modric not obsessed with the Ballon D’Or
- Madrid must prove they are not Real-Ronaldo in the UCL
- Los Blancos set for fourth consecutive UCL defence
- Madrid step up plans for the new Santiago Bernabeu
- Athletic Bilbao test awaits Los Blancos
- Mariano – It’s an honor to be Madrid’s number 7
- Marcelo to pay €753k fine for tax fraud
- Courtois to start La Liga game against Bilbao
Bale emerges as Wales’ record goalscorer after hat-trick against China
- Updated: March 22, 2018
Gareth Bale hit an impressive hat-trick against China to break Ian Rush’s record and emerge as Wales’ all-time leading goalscorer. Ian Rush scored 28 goals in 73 appearances for the Welsh senior national team between 1980 and 1996.
Ian Rush’s goal haul for Wales ensured that he overtook the likes of Trevor Ford and Ivor Allchurch to top the country’s goalscoring charts. It has been a record for years until today, as other ideas popped into Gareth Bale’s head.
The Real Madrid man was the star of the show as Wales hammered China 6 nil in Nanning. His treble on the day against China took him from 26 to 29 goals in 69 appearances for his country.
Bale who found the back of the net for the first time for Wales in October 2006 in a 5:1 defeat at home to Slovakia said:
“I suppose when I was a little boy I never dreamed of being a record-breaker for Wales.
Ian Rush in his Chester days at Sealand Road
“It is a massive honour.
“I was not thinking about it, but now it has come it’s an incredible honour and one of the best things I’ve achieved in my career.”
The impressive win ensured that Wales booked qualification into the final of the China Cup, alongside ensuring that Ryan Giggs reign as a national team manager began with success. Speaking on the significance of Bale’s hat-trick and record, Giggs said:
“What can you say about ‘Baleo’, breaking someone like Ian Rush’s record? Ian Rush is one of the greatest goalscorers who has ever lived.
“It’s an absolutely fantastic achievement. He lifts everyone as he has an X-factor. He can hurt any team in the world.
“Once upon a time I think this was a record people thought would never be beaten.
“It’s a fantastic moment for Gareth and he fully deserves it.”