- Madrid eye Thiago Alcantara as possible replacement for Kovacic
- Ramos hits back at Maradona – Argentines know Messi is their greatest
- Madrid to meet Bale’s representatives amid exit rumors
- Hazard – Real Madrid know what to do if they want me
- Madrid stars shine as Portugal and Spain settle for a point
- Lopetegui arrives Madrid, to be unveiled Thursday afternoon
- Julen Lopetegui! The new man in the Madrid dugout
- Clasico to be played earlier to ensure it influences the title race
- Keylor Navas – Madridistas are fully behind me
- Milan reportedly make €10 million bid for Dani Ceballos
Bale emerges as Wales’ record goalscorer after hat-trick against China
- Updated: March 22, 2018
Gareth Bale hit an impressive hat-trick against China to break Ian Rush’ record and emerge as Wales’ all-time leading goalscorer. Ian Rush scored 28 goals in 73 appearances for the Welsh senior national team between 1980 and 1996.
Ian Rush’s goal haul for Wales ensured that he overtook the likes of Trevor Ford and Ivor Allchurch to top the country’s goalscoring charts. It has been a record for years until today, as other ideas popped into Gareth Bale’s head.
The Real Madrid man was the star of the show as Wales hammered China 6 nil in Nanning. His treble on the day against China took him from 26 to 29 goals in his 69th appearance for the country.
Bale who found the back of the net for the first time for the Welsh national team in October 2006 in a 5:1 defeat at home to Slovakia said:
“I suppose when I was a little boy I never dreamed of being a record-breaker for Wales.
Ian Rush in his Chester days at Sealand Road
“It is a massive honour.
“I was not thinking about it, but now it has come it’s an incredible honour and one of the best things I’ve achieved in my career.”
The impressive win ensured that Wales booked qualification into the final of the China Cup, alongside ensuring that Ryan Giggs reign as a national team manager began with success. On the significance of Bale’s hat-trick and record, Giggs said:
“What can you say about ‘Baleo’, breaking someone like Ian Rush’s record? Ian Rush is one of the greatest goalscorers who has ever lived.
“It’s an absolutely fantastic achievement. He lifts everyone as he has an X-factor. He can hurt any team in the world.
“Once upon a time I think this was a record people thought would never be beaten.
“It’s a fantastic moment for Gareth and he fully deserves it.”