- Madrid agree whopping €1,100m sponsorship deal with Adidas
- Solari continues Madrid revival with Valladolid win
- First major test for Solari as Valladolid visit Bernabeu
- Copa Del Rey – Madrid face Melilla in Solari’s first game
- Four things to expect if Madrid hire Conte
- Time may be up for Lopetegui after El Clasico thrashing
- Besiktas will not block possible Guti move to Madrid
- Madrid win, Benzema becomes 4th highest UCL goalscorer
- Madrid must do the talking on the pitch against Plzen
- Report – Marcelo asks for January move to Juventus
Ballon d’Or – Ramos backs Modric, aims jibe at Ronaldo
- Updated: September 10, 2018
Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos has been in the news since the commencement of the international break and he has made the headlines again.
The Spain international has stated that Madrid teammate and Croatia international Luka Modric deserves to win the FIFA 2018 Best Men’s Player award.
The Croatian received the nomination alongside Liverpool’s Mohammed Salah and former Madrid teammate Cristiano Ronaldo.
Modric produced stellar performances for both club and country in the last year. He played crucial a part in Real Madrid’s third consecutive UCL triumph as well as Croatia’s Russia 2018 World Cup second place finish.
Ramos insisted that his achievements in the past year should see him win the award ahead of someone who has more marketing or a bigger name, and this is a seeming swipe at Ronaldo who is now at Juventus.
“He is a great friend and a great player,” Ramos referred to Modric in a chat with ESPN. “He is one of the few players who [if he wins] would make me as happy as if they had given it to me.
“Maybe there are players with more marketing, with a bigger name but Modric deserves that award.”
When questioned if his comment was targeted at anyone in particular, he replied with an affirmative No.
This appears to be a cheeky dig at Ronaldo and it won’t be the first time that Ramos is appearing to aim a dig at the Portugal international.
He had previously said that Ronaldo does whatever he wants after his move to Juventus