- Madrid eye Thiago Alcantara as possible replacement for Kovacic
- Ramos hits back at Maradona – Argentines know Messi is their greatest
- Madrid to meet Bale’s representatives amid exit rumors
- Hazard – Real Madrid know what to do if they want me
- Madrid stars shine as Portugal and Spain settle for a point
- Lopetegui arrives Madrid, to be unveiled Thursday afternoon
- Julen Lopetegui! The new man in the Madrid dugout
- Clasico to be played earlier to ensure it influences the title race
- Keylor Navas – Madridistas are fully behind me
- Milan reportedly make €10 million bid for Dani Ceballos
Clasico to be played earlier to ensure it influences the title race
- Updated: June 12, 2018
Fans of Real Madrid and Barcelona, as well as neutrals, were treated to a relatively inconsequential second Clasico in the course of the 2017/18 season, as there was not much to play for at the time with top 4 places, and league winner positions with regards to the two clubs already decided.
Therefore, the president of the La Liga, Javier Tebas has revealed that the second Clasico in the forthcoming 2018/19 season will be played earlier than it was in the previous season to ensure that the outcome has a significant effect on the title race.
It can be recalled that Barcelona had already secured the title with four points to spare before the encounter on May 6 while the Los Blancos had an eye on the UEFA Champions League final against Liverpool which they eventually won.
Tebas disclosed: “This coming season, the Clasico will be played sooner,” the La Liga chief said in a chat Onda Cero radio. “It wasn’t ideal that it was played with nothing at stake.”
The Clasico is one of the most watched sporting events worldwide with Barcelona’s 3:2 win over Real Madrid at the Bernabeu in 2017 being aired in 185 countries, and viewed by 650 million users. Meanwhile, the second Clasico will not be remembered for its implication on the title race, but for Real Madrid’s decision not to give the ‘pasillo’ to the league winners as they stepped into the pitch.