- Match Preview – Real Madrid host Getafe
- Lopetegui insists on a new number 9
- Modric – Madrid denounce Inter for illegal approach
- Some positives from the derby defeat to Atletico
- A cracking Madrid derby in Europe on the cards
- Madrid already taking shape under Lopetegui
- Modric will stay at Real Madrid
- Modric will ask for Madrid exit
- Los Blancos conclude transfer deals with Chelsea
- Kovacic set to join Chelsea on loan
Kovacic wants to leave Real Madrid
- Updated: July 23, 2018
Croatia international and Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic has told Real Madrid coach Juklen Lopetegui that he wants to leave the Santiago Bernabeu according to reports from Marca.
Kovacic made the move to Real Madrid in the summer of 2015 and has won three Champions League trophies, amongst others since his arrival, but has struggled to nail a regular place in the Los Blancos match day starting 11 since his arrival.
The report indicated that the 24-year-old Kovacic made this known to Lopetegui in a chat on Friday after his return from the Russia 2018 World Cup, and disclosed his desire to leave the Los Blancos this summer in search of more first team opportunities elsewhere.
It can be recalled that reports linked the midfielder with a miove to Manchester City earlier this month, although Madrid responded by stating that the player had a valuation of 80m, subsequently thwarting any possibilities of a move away from the Bernabeu.
Since his move to Madrid, Kovacic has been a starter in just 37 La Liga games since his arrival in 2015, and only started 10 games in the League in the 2017/18 campaign.
The player even struggled to nail a starting spot for the Croatia national team in the concluded Russia 2018 World Cup as he was made to play a bit part role as a sub in some of the games. This is definitely another factor that would most likely affect his chances at the Bernabeu as it has not done his quest to be a starter at the Bernabeu any good.