- Match Preview – Real Madrid host Getafe
- Lopetegui insists on a new number 9
- Modric – Madrid denounce Inter for illegal approach
- Some positives from the derby defeat to Atletico
- A cracking Madrid derby in Europe on the cards
- Madrid already taking shape under Lopetegui
- Modric will stay at Real Madrid
- Modric will ask for Madrid exit
- Los Blancos conclude transfer deals with Chelsea
- Kovacic set to join Chelsea on loan
Lopetegui arrives Madrid, to be unveiled Thursday afternoon
- Updated: June 14, 2018
Reports from Marca suggest that new Real Madrid coach Julen Lopetegui arrived Barajas on Thursday morning before proceeding to depart in a black van through the VIP terminal. He made no comments to the press and there are indications that he will be presented this afternoon at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.
Lopetegui was relieved of his position as Spain boss after it was discovered that he would be leaving for Madrid after the tournament. He missed out on the opportunity to prove his mettle with Spain in the tournament.
Meanwhile, one relative benefit of his sack was that Real Madrid didn’t have to pay the €2 million release clause for the manager to the Spanish FA.
Lopetegui expressed his sadness over the decision of the Spanish FA before boarding the plane in Krasnodar. He noted the magnificence of the La Furia Roja with a serious face.
Regardless, he’ll now be able to start preparations to ensure his success at the Bernabeu as there are a good number of situations he’ll have to address when he starts work officially.
Some of the decisions he’ll have to address are the transfer situations related to Odriozola, Alisson, Ronaldo, Bale, as well as other names on the table. He must now forget about his adventures as well as what would have been with the Spanish side and now focus on his new job as Madrid boss.