- Madrid agree whopping €1,100m sponsorship deal with Adidas
- Solari continues Madrid revival with Valladolid win
- First major test for Solari as Valladolid visit Bernabeu
- Copa Del Rey – Madrid face Melilla in Solari’s first game
- Four things to expect if Madrid hire Conte
- Time may be up for Lopetegui after El Clasico thrashing
- Besiktas will not block possible Guti move to Madrid
- Madrid win, Benzema becomes 4th highest UCL goalscorer
- Madrid must do the talking on the pitch against Plzen
- Report – Marcelo asks for January move to Juventus
Madrid impress in 2018/19 La Liga opener
- Updated: August 20, 2018
Real Madrid started life without Cristiano Ronaldo on a high as they emerged with a commanding 2 nil victory over local rivals Getafe at the Santiago Bernabeu in their opening game of the 2018/19 La Liga season.
The goals were scored by Dani Carvajal in the 20th minute and Gareth Bale in the 51st minute. This effectively meant that Julen Lopetegui started his league campaign with Los Blancos by bagging all three points.
However, the excitement of the win was blighted by a decline in the number of Madridistas who thronged to the Santiago Bernabeu stadium for the game.
The attendance on the night was 48,446, which was a sharp contrast to their record lowest attendance of 61,568 in a maiden game at the Bernabeu in the 2016/17 season.
Regardless, Los Blancos showed promise in the fixture, although it was one they were expected to win.
We had noted how vital a consistent goalscorer would be to the Madrid side. Julen Lopetegui has also reportedly demanded the arrival of a new striker this summer.
Therefore, although it’s still early days yet, a new striker might actually be a need for Real Madrid.
On the other hand, it was a good day for Keylor Navas who got his first clean sheet of the 2018/19 season.
This was needed as the competition for the number 1 spot at the club just got tougher with the arrival of Thibaut Courtois.
All in all, Madrid got the needed three points to put them in good stead for the 2018/19 La Liga marathon that has kicked off.
Hopefully, they continue in the same impressive form when they travel away to Girona for their next league game.