- Match Preview – Real Madrid host Getafe
- Lopetegui insists on a new number 9
- Modric – Madrid denounce Inter for illegal approach
- Some positives from the derby defeat to Atletico
- A cracking Madrid derby in Europe on the cards
- Madrid already taking shape under Lopetegui
- Modric will stay at Real Madrid
- Modric will ask for Madrid exit
- Los Blancos conclude transfer deals with Chelsea
- Kovacic set to join Chelsea on loan
Pellegrini – I was forced to let some players play at Madrid
- Updated: June 6, 2018
Chilean coach Manuel Pellegrini has opened up about his time at Real Madrid thus revealing some secrets, and this comes few days after Zidane’s departure from the Santiago Bernabeu.
Pellegrini revealed that he was coerced into ensuring that some players were always on the pitch regardless of the circumstances, and the performances they put up. This gives credence to rumors of alleged player favoritism at the Bernabeu.
According to Pellegrini, his major discussions with the club hierarchy were about the performance of the players who would always start games, however, he stood his grounds and never compromised. He made this known in the course of an interview with El Mercurio as quoted by Marca
Meanwhile, the Chilean tactician who managed Los Blancos in the 2009/10 season spoke highly and was full of praise for the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Raul as he also opened up on the player that gave him the most difficulty at the club. He described Ronaldo and Raul as excellent athletes regardless of how much they had won.
He described Juan Roman Riquelme as the player he faced the most difficulty working with when he managed Madrid but admitted that the Argentine maintained an excellent relationship with his players and colleagues.
He also noted that he has a good relationship with the managers, pointing out Mourinho saying that they met recently in London and greeted each other with a big hug.