- Madrid agree whopping €1,100m sponsorship deal with Adidas
- Solari continues Madrid revival with Valladolid win
- First major test for Solari as Valladolid visit Bernabeu
- Copa Del Rey – Madrid face Melilla in Solari’s first game
- Four things to expect if Madrid hire Conte
- Time may be up for Lopetegui after El Clasico thrashing
- Besiktas will not block possible Guti move to Madrid
- Madrid win, Benzema becomes 4th highest UCL goalscorer
- Madrid must do the talking on the pitch against Plzen
- Report – Marcelo asks for January move to Juventus
Rafael Varane needs to impress Zinedine Zidane
- Updated: March 22, 2016
Real Madrid defender Rafael Varane is keen to get back into the starting line-up on a regular basis after performing impressively in the 4-0 win over Sevilla during the weekend. The 22-year-old is regarded as one of the highly talented central defenders in world football. However, he has been inconsistent in his time at the Santiago Bernabeu. This has often been linked to his irregular place in the starting line-up. The constant revolving door of managers at Real Madrid means that the combination of Sergio Ramos and Pepe often find themselves as the preferred combination.
Varane has been used only when needed due to the availability of the duo. The Frenchman remains confident that this will change under the regime of Zinedine Zidane. To his credit, Zidane relied upon his countrymen for much of January and February. Results were poor during this period and this led to Varane finding himself on the bench more often than not in the month of March. He has made only two appearances this month. However, the player remains confident that his good showing in the game against Sevilla will be enough to convince Zidane that he is worthy of a regular first-team spot.
It remains to be seen if Varane will start the El Clasico in a fortnight. This match marks the return of the la Liga after a two-week absence due to international break. Varane has made 27 appearances in all competitions for Real Madrid this season. The player’s contract runs until 2020, but he has been linked with the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City in recent times.