- James Rodriguez keen on a Madrid return
- Some amazing Cristiano Ronaldo facts at the Bernabeu
- Official! Ronaldo joins Juventus in a €105 million deal
- Three Galacticos on course for history in Russia 2018
- Ancelotti made enquiry for Benzema and Hakimi
- Odriozola joins Madrid on six-year deal
- Manchester United eye deal for Toni Kroos
- Madrid cut Ronaldo release clause from €1bn to €120m
- Liverpool eye Asensio in possible €180 million deal
- Roma not interested in selling Alisson to Madrid
Ramos – No disrespect in refusal to give guard of honour to Barcelona
- Updated: April 9, 2018
Real Madrid FC captain Sergio Ramos has insisted that the club’s refusal to perform a guard of honour for bitter rivals Barcelona is not a sign of disrespect, with the controversy brewing as the next Classico clash approaches.
Some bit of Real Madrid news last week saw Zinedine Zidane saying that his players would not give Barcelona a guard of honour if the Catalan outfit seals the La lIga title before both sides square up against each other next month.
This decision should not be a surprise though as it can be recalled that Barcelona decided not to give Real Madrid FC a guard of honour when they faced each other in December, an encounter which was preceded by Madrid’s triumph in the Club World Cup.
“Not performing a guard of honour doesn’t mean we don’t respect Barcelona,” Ramos said after Madrid’s 1-1 draw with Atlético Madrid gave Barcelona an 11-point lead atop the table.
“I’ve always said that we’ll do what the coach tells us to.
“People put too much value on the guard of honour, if the boss has said no then we have to respect him.”