- Los Blancos showing more dynamism in attack
- Perez – Real Madrid will not play in the U.S
- Modric not obsessed with the Ballon D’Or
- Madrid must prove they are not Real-Ronaldo in the UCL
- Los Blancos set for fourth consecutive UCL defence
- Madrid step up plans for the new Santiago Bernabeu
- Athletic Bilbao test awaits Los Blancos
- Mariano – It’s an honor to be Madrid’s number 7
- Marcelo to pay €753k fine for tax fraud
- Courtois to start La Liga game against Bilbao
Ronaldo congratulated Modric on UEFA award win
- Updated: September 7, 2018
Real Madrid midfield maestro and Croatia international Luka Modric has revealed that former Madrid teammate Cristiano Ronaldo sent him a text telling him he deserved to win the UEFA Player of the Year award.
Modric came out tops and won the award last week, beating off competition from Ronaldo and Mohammed Salah. He won the Champions League with Los Blancos and played a pivotal role for Croatia in their Russia 2018 World Cup second-place finish.
The player also joined the aforementioned duo on the shortlist of the FIFA Player of the Year award on Monday. Ronaldo was absent from the UEFA award ceremony and would have hoped to win the award for a third consecutive year.
In a chat with RTP3, Modric revealed that he has a good relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo. He added that the collective awards were more important than individual awards, insisting that he was not obsessed with individual awards.
Modric said: “He sent me a message to congratulate me. He said he was happy for me and that I deserved it. He also said he would like to see me soon. That’s it. We have a good relationship.”
The award to Modric sparked some controversies as Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes who left during the ceremony stated that it was a disgrace that Ronaldo was not handed the award.
“He scored 15 goals, and carried Madrid on his back to win another Champions League,” Mendes said at the time. “It’s just ridiculous — a disgrace. There is no doubt about the winner. He is the best in his position.”