- Madrid agree whopping €1,100m sponsorship deal with Adidas
- Solari continues Madrid revival with Valladolid win
- First major test for Solari as Valladolid visit Bernabeu
- Copa Del Rey – Madrid face Melilla in Solari’s first game
- Four things to expect if Madrid hire Conte
- Time may be up for Lopetegui after El Clasico thrashing
- Besiktas will not block possible Guti move to Madrid
- Madrid win, Benzema becomes 4th highest UCL goalscorer
- Madrid must do the talking on the pitch against Plzen
- Report – Marcelo asks for January move to Juventus
Russia 2018 – Varane triumphs over golden ball Modric
- Updated: July 16, 2018
The Russia 2018 World Cup final has come and gone, and it was a tale of three Galacticos although just one Galactico was left standing with the coveted gold medal around his neck.
He also had the opportunity to hoist the golden trophy. France came out tops in the final game against Croatia, a result that saw Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane emerge victorious over Modric and Kovacic.
It must have been a game of mixed reactions for Madridistas who were torn between support for Modric alongside Kovacic, or for Varane.
Regardless, the Frenchman came out tops, as there were two golden Galacticos after the game.
Varane emerged with a gold medal and a golden trophy, while Luka Modric was forced to settle for the golden ball and a silver medal.
Regardless, the triumph saw the 25-year-old French man maintain an imperious form of playing a significant part in landing significant trophies with the sides he’s played for as it took his trophy count to 16 at 25 years of age.
Raphel Varane has now won significant trophies at both club and country level.
The young defender has played a part for Los Blancos in winning 4 Champions League titles, 3 European Super Cups, 1 Copa Del Rey title, 3 Club World Cups, 2 La Liga titles, 2 Spanish Super Cups and now 1 World Cup trophy with Les Blues.
Varane has carved a niche for himself as one of the most decorated young footballers in the game.
He will also go down in France’s history as one of the key players who played their parts effectively en route their second World Cup win.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid midfield maestro and Croatia star man Luka Modric may not have gotten his expectations met but did himself a lot of good with his consistently impressive individual performances.
He ended up with the Russia 2018 Golden Ball, which is the best player award of the competition.
The Croatian appears to have hit his highest footballing potentials since his move to Madrid, and it remains to be seen if he will be challenged to remain with the club after a trophy-laden career or opt for a challenge elsewhere.